Search This Blog

Friday, May 21, 2010

Google-Bears Pasta

I know. I know…I am awesome when it comes to updating! When life comes a knocking at your door, you damn well better answer it- who knows when you’ll have a second chance, right?! So I have been busy these past few months and updating my blog seemed to have been pushed back to lower priorities; hopefully, this is some what of peace offering to anyone who actually reads this blog.


This recipe is dedicated to my Barkada (bar-kah-duh: a group of friends that become your family) pinsan (peen-son: cousin) Kuya (koo-yah: older brother) Arvin. How does one describe professional chef Kuya Arvin? Let see. Kuya Arvin is one of the best role model I know. He has faults, like everyone else, but he admits to his faults and tries to better himself. He tells you how it is; bring the word “blunt” to a whole new meaning. I met Kuya when he first arrived to Chicago in my teens. He was the favorite of many aunts, and one of them happened to be my mom. My parents were the typical immigrant parents; raised the old-fashioned way. One could say, my sisters and I were sheltered growing up and entrusting their children to just anyone was definitely bad parenting in their books. Somehow, Kuya Arvin won my mom’s heart and instantly no matter where the event was being held or how late the event was being held til, as long as Kuya Arvin was there – my mom had no worries. Mind you, he later ratted my cousins and I out during my mom’s wake in front of many people. All was forgiven because after telling the stories, my aunts and uncles laughed.

One night, Kuya and I were talking on the phone; I being his therapist, and he being my professor, he had taught me many pointers, such as: how to cook meat thoroughly, how to properly cook chicken breast, when the right time to eat soup, etc. Not only did he give me some pointers but he taught me a recipe he and his colleagues have cooked in one of restaurants. The recipe was given to them but a very famous chef whom Kuya did not mention.

One of the most valuable pointers he taught me was, if someone asks for the recipe, give it them. No matter how well you cooked it, they will never recreate it like you do. Therefore, one day, my friends and I had our monthly book club (YEA, I’M IN A BOOKCLUB AND WHAT??) which is usually a pot-luck event, this time it was my friend Michele’s turn to host it at her house. Racking my brains for days on what to bring, I decided to make the dish and bring it as my offering. When it was time to eat, Michele was instantly hooked after the first bite. Since it was a girl’s movie night too, she packed some up for Chris, Michele’s boyfriend and who is also unleashing his inner cooking too, wanted to know the recipe. I emailed her the recipe and she replied asking what the dish was called. Since it is not my original recipe, I did not know what to call it. Prior to giving her the recipe, I told her during dinner where I got the recipe from; since it was originally from Kuya Arvin, who is contracted to be the head chef to a very well known company and professional sports team in Chicago, Michele bestowed the name in honor of Kuya Arvin!


Google-Bears Pasta




Ingredients:

Olive Oil
3-4 Garlic (you could lessen the garlic depending on your taste)
1 bundle of Fresh Basil Leaves
3 Plum Tomatoes
1 pkg of Pasta your choice
1 jar of Sun dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil
2 cup of hot pasta water
Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper for taste



Fill pot ¾ to the top with water and bring to a boil. When boiling add salt and drizzle olive oil before putting in the pasta. Cook until pasta is el dente and set aside 2 cups of pasta water

Detach the basil leaves from the steam, if it has not been detached already. Wash the leaves with water, and place the leaves individually unto a dry paper towel to dry the leaves

When the leaves are dry, stack the leaves on top of each other, and roll the leaves together, and cut them thinly. When separated, the leaves should look like small strips of green. (The technique is called Chiffonade... see attached picture)

Mince the garlic and roughly chop the plum tomatoes into cubes and sun dried tomatoes

In a separate cold pan, add enough olive oil and garlic and turn the stove to medium heat.

When garlic is brown add the plum tomatoes and pinch of salt. (salt will help the tomatoes release its juices) When the tomatoes have softened, mash the tomatoes and add the sundried tomatoes. (At this point add some of the olive oil from the tomatoes to enhance the flavor!)

Add 2/3 of the chopped basil and half of the parmesan cheese.

Add about 1 cup of the pasta water into the pan, stir and let it thicken. (at this point you want to stir more than normal because the cheese will start to stick to the pan) If it gets to dry, add more pasta water and let it thicken.

Add the pasta directly into the pan and mix. Add the remaining of the basil.

Add salt and pepper for taste (you could drizzle more of the sundried tomato olive oil too)

No comments:

Post a Comment